By Richard A. Billows
Referred to as by way of Plutarch ''the oldest and maximum of Alexander's successors,'' Antigonos the One-Eyed (382-301 BC) used to be the dominant determine throughout the first half the Diadoch interval, ruling many of the Asian territory conquered by way of the Macedonians in the course of his ultimate 20 years. Billows offers the 1st certain learn of this nice basic and administrator, constructing him as a key contributor to the Hellenistic monarchy and kingdom. After a winning occupation less than Philip and Alexander, Antigonos rose to energy over the Asian component to Alexander's conquests. Embittered by means of the chronic hostility of these who managed the ecu and Egyptian components of the empire, he attempted to put off those rivals, an ambition which ended in his ultimate defeat in 301. In a corrective to the normal reasons of his goals, Billows indicates that Antigonos was once scarcely prompted by way of Alexander, trying to rule West Asia and the Aegean, instead of the complete of Alexander's Empire.
Read or Download Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State PDF
Best greece books
* If it's historical Greece you're drawn to, our authors will advisor you from the Acropolis to the islands (the geographical and non secular middle of the Cyclades). within the 21<sup>st</sup> century, they'll element you towards the easiest lodges, inns, nightlife and shopping.
* "Greeks won't dwell to consume, yet they definitely take what they consume, and the way it truly is ready very seriously," says our (well-fed) writer, who takes you from kafeneion (coffee apartment) to ouzeri to psistaria (for grilled meats), tavernas and beyond.
* a whole bankruptcy grants a rundown on cruising the Greek Islands, from selecting the correct cruise, to budgeting, on the brink of cross, and a precis of a few of the ships, from huge to small, that ply the Mediterranean.
* Opinionated reports. No bland descriptions and lukewarm concepts. Our professional writers are keen about their destinations--they inform it love it is in an enticing and worthy way.
* unique costs indexed for each institution and activity--no different publications provide such specific, candid reports of inns and eating places. We contain some of the best, but in addition emphasize reasonably priced offerings for actual people.
* effortless beneficial properties together with superstar scores and specified icons to indicate readers to nice reveals, very good values, insider information, most sensible bets for children, designated moments, and overvalued experiences.
Professor Lee offers a social and cultural heritage of the Cyreans, the mercenaries of Xenophon's Anabasis. whereas they've got frequently been portrayed as a unmarried summary political neighborhood, this booklet unearths that lifestyles within the military was once often formed by way of a collection of smaller social groups: the formal unit organization of the lochos ('company'), and the casual comradeship of the suskenia ('mess group').
The Basle whole statement on Homer's Iliad is primary across the world, either in learn and educating. the second one, revised variation of the observation on e-book 1 (vol. 1, 2002) having been out of print for a few months, a 3rd revised version is now to be had.
Additional info for Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State
Olympias had the unlucky king and his misguided wife assassinated, Philippos Arrhidaios having occupied the throne for six years and four months (Diod. XIX 11,5), which places the assassination in about October of 317. Olympias then sought to establish control over Macedon by instituting a veritable reign of terror against Kassandros's sympathizers (Diod. XIX 11,8–9). In Asia, Eumenes' failed negotiations with Seleukos and Peithon forced him to leave his winter quarters early, for he was in great need of supplies (Diod.
Diodoros XVIII 39,7 says, "He [sc. Antipatros] appointed as general of the royal army Antigonos, to whom was assigned the task of warring down Eumenes and Alketas"; Arrian Met' Alex. " The implication, especially of the more detailed Arrian, is clearly that Antigonos's main task was to head the royal army and look after the kings, having a watching brief over Asia, and being (as I have suggested above) thus marked out as Antipatros's eventual successor. The war against Eumenes and Alketas was an additional task, which Antigonos himself demanded, and which fell to him naturally given his military command.
3] He remained in Kappadokia for a time, gathering forces and supplies (2,000 men according to Diod. XVIII 53, 5–7; Plut. Eum. 12, 3 reports 1,000 cavalry). However, Eumenes realized perfectly well that Antigonos was not likely to accept the changed oath he had sworn, in which he had not bound himself to Antigonos's cause, and he therefore prepared to flee. His problem was to find a likely place of refuge, and this was provided by the arrival of letters from Polyperchon asking him to resume the fight against Antigonos in Asia and promising him funds and support from  ― 84 ― the royal treasure and forces in Kilikia (Diod.
Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State by Richard A. Billows