By Roshdi Rashed
Mit dem funften Buch der Kegelschnitte erreicht die antike Mathematik einen Hohepunkt. Apollonius fuhrt darin die erste bekannte Theorie der Maxima- und Minima-Linien aus, die von den Mathematikern zu Beginn des 10. und vor allem des 17. Jahrhunderts wieder aufgegriffen wurde. Ebenso wie die folgenden beiden Bucher VI und VII ist dieses Buch, dessen griechische Original-Fassung verloren ist, nur in der arabischen Ubersetzung erhalten, die im nine. Jahrhundert in Bagdad erstellt wurde.
Der Leser findet in diesem Band eine im wahrsten Wortsinn kritische variation des funften Buches der Kegelschnitte von Apollonius, eine strenge und wortgetreue Ubersetzung, sowie eine so vielseitige und ausfuhrliche historische und mathematische Kommentierung, wie sie die Erschlieung eines solch gewichtigen Zeugnisses erfordert.
Read Online or Download Apollonius de Perge: Coniques, Tome 3: Livre V. Commentaire historique et mathématique, édition et traduction du texte arabe PDF
Similar greece books
* If it's historical Greece you're attracted to, our authors will advisor you from the Acropolis to the islands (the geographical and non secular heart of the Cyclades). within the 21<sup>st</sup> century, they'll element you towards the easiest lodges, motels, nightlife and shopping.
* "Greeks won't dwell to devour, yet they definitely take what they consume, and the way it truly is ready very seriously," says our (well-fed) writer, who takes you from kafeneion (coffee condo) to ouzeri to psistaria (for grilled meats), tavernas and beyond.
* a complete bankruptcy grants a rundown on cruising the Greek Islands, from selecting the correct cruise, to budgeting, on the brink of pass, and a precis of a few of the ships, from huge to small, that ply the Mediterranean.
* Opinionated studies. No bland descriptions and lukewarm strategies. Our specialist writers are keen about their destinations--they inform it love it is in a fascinating and priceless way.
* distinct costs indexed for each institution and activity--no different publications supply such unique, candid studies of motels and eating places. We comprise the superior, but additionally emphasize reasonably priced offerings for actual people.
* undemanding positive factors together with big name rankings and targeted icons to indicate readers to nice reveals, very good values, insider guidance, most sensible bets for children, specific moments, and puffed up experiences.
Professor Lee presents a social and cultural heritage of the Cyreans, the mercenaries of Xenophon's Anabasis. whereas they've got frequently been portrayed as a unmarried summary political neighborhood, this e-book unearths that lifestyles within the military used to be normally formed by means of a collection of smaller social groups: the formal unit service provider of the lochos ('company'), and the casual comradeship of the suskenia ('mess group').
The Basle whole observation on Homer's Iliad is customary the world over, either in examine and educating. the second one, revised version of the remark on booklet 1 (vol. 1, 2002) having been out of print for a few months, a 3rd revised variation is now to be had.
Additional resources for Apollonius de Perge: Coniques, Tome 3: Livre V. Commentaire historique et mathématique, édition et traduction du texte arabe
60 A similar effect results from the qualities attributed to horses: not merely speed but lightfootedness, tenacity, spirit. Theirs is the responsibility for victories won by a nod or by a head (AB 72, 74, perhaps 76), narrow margins that testify to both the quality of the opposition and the capability of those who defeated them. 61 It seems that Callicrates of Samos, admiral of the Ptolemaic fleet, won the Pythian chariot race of 274 or 270 BCE by a mere nod. At this point, charioteers do make an appearance but only to protest the result, and the judges (or some of them) respond by throwing their staffs of office to the ground, ready to leave the decision to the lot.
Some time later, his coach (epistate¯s) Therippides approached the council of Ephesus to seek citizenship for two men who had helped defray Athenodorus’ expenses to prepare for and journey to the festival and undertook to do so in future. We will return to the role of the coach below. For the moment, it is some of the other implications of this sequence of events that are of interest. First, there is no request for a direct subsidy from the community itself: Athenodorus’ athletic career has been underwritten by private benefactors, and this will continue to be the case.
52 Earlier papyrus discoveries brought to light fragments of three poems written by Callimachus to honor victors at competitive festivals. 54 A portion of the collection, which was perhaps arranged by the poet himself, is made up of eighteen “equestrian poems,” hippika, on the theme of victory in horse and chariot races. The roll contributes significant items to our evidence for the equestrian accomplishments of the Ptolemies and their associates. 55 The poems also demonstrate continuity with the traditions of archaic and classical epinician poetry and the vitality of one motif in particular, the effacement of the roles of jockeys and charioteers.
Apollonius de Perge: Coniques, Tome 3: Livre V. Commentaire historique et mathématique, édition et traduction du texte arabe by Roshdi Rashed